All students entering Estonia are strongly
recommended to arrange their own health insurance for the period of their study
abroad before leaving their home country. Health insurance should cover health,
accidents and hospital care.
- EU/EEA citizens are entitled to the same
social welfare benefits in Estonia as Estonian residents. Therefore,
students from EU/EEA countries should obtain an EU health insurance card from the social service authorities in their home country before arriving
in Estonia. In addition you can obtain private health insurance
- Students from Non-EU/EEA countries have to
obtain internationally valid private health insurance. It is recommended
to make an insurance contract in your country. But it is possible to do it
also in Estonia. Some opportunities: ERGO (health insurance contract can be signed after arrival to Estonia) and KindlustusEst.
Health insurance is necessary if the Non-EU/EEA citizen is applying
for the D (long-term) Visa.
- Primary health care is a set of ambulatory services for the most common health problems. Primary health care and ambulance service are free of charge for Estonian residents!
- Specialised medical care: ambulatory and hospital.
- Ambulance care is a health care service intended for the primary diagnosis and treatment of life-threatening illnesses, injuries or poisonings. One can reach an ambulance on 112 from all over Estonia.
Primary health care
All insured residents have the right to choose their
family practitioner, who is the first contact point in case of any
family practitioner treats minor illnesses, can make home visits and gives
referrals to visit a medical specialist.
English speaking family practitioners in
Doctor Liina Kask-Flight
Family Physicians of the
City centre of Tartu
Address: Gildi 8
(Family Physicians of the UT)
Address: Puusepa 1a, 1st
floor, rooms 1171, 1170, 1182, 1167
Phone: +372 731 9268
Doctor Tiiu Tootsi
Address: Puusepa 1a, 3rd
floor, rooms 3011 and 3012
Phone: +372 7455187
For planning a visit:
1) Call beforehand.
In case of acute health problem: usually an appointment within 1 day.
In case of chronic health problem: usually an appointment within 5 business days.
In case of certificates: usually within 15 business days.
2) Do not forget to take
ID card or passport, EHIC or private health insurance documents with you.
3) Do not forget to take with you important medical papers.
4) Visit costs approx. 20 EUR, plus fees of other procedures done by the practitioner. Depending on the problem (acute vs chronic) and insurance type (EU or not) the cost may be different. Ask in advance.
Specialised medical care
- Mostly you need referral from a
- Referral is not necessary for:
6) Pulmonologist (in case of tuberculosis)
7) Infectious Diseases Doctor (in case of HIV/AIDS treatment and for vaccinations)
Tartu University Hospital
Address: Puusepa 8, tel. 7319 100 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have EU insurance, you get sick in Estonia and you have referral letter you have to pay only visit fee (5 EUR)
Ambulance service is free of charge in case of
emergency or unavoidable medical aid. You can reach ambulance on
112 (toll free line) from all over Estonia.
- The accident ward and the emergency medical service unit have opening hours
round the clock and one may seek help from them especially at weekends and at
night time when family practitioners are off duty (you do not need to make an
appointment for that).
- Go directly to Emergency department:
Address: Puusepa 8, Tartu
Visit fee is 5 EUR (with European Health Insurance Card)
- You can find both the emergency medical care unit and
the accident ward from See map
Pharmacies (apteek) - Pharmacists can assist with simple medical
problems. Even though, most of the drugs are issued upon a medical
prescription written by a doctor, some of the painkillers, antacids, ointments,
and other simple drugs could be obtained without one. There are several
pharmacies around town, but you will most likely find one in any of the big
Dentists (hambaarst) - For adults, dental care is not free. Usual
visit may cost from 30 EUR upwards depending on the given problem.