Planting trees to minimise the negative impact of event organising
Our project partner Publicon welcomes participants’ donations through the registration form for planting trees. This is done to minimise the impact of event organising and the participants' carbon footprint. This is carried out in cooperation with the Järvselja Study and Testing forest district belonging to the Estonian University of Life Sciences. Its surface area encompasses 10 554.5 ha with 6624 ha of forest. The Institute of Forestry and Engineering has an annual tradition of planting trees in that district. If a participant of our event has donated towards planting a tree, the donation will go towards the next tree-planting event.
Principles for Sustainable Events
Publicon OÜ as the organiser has been dedicated to being as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible for the last 10 years, constantly improving, moving towards the best practices and doing our part to be kind to the environment and contribute to society. We have pledged to follow the sustainable event principles summarised by the Events Industry Council
Some of the things we do:
- Food - All our food for the events comes from local, high-quality producers. The offered food takes into account allergies and preferences, no participant goes hungry. We take into account the amount people usually eat (according to our long experience) so that little food is left unconsumed. In the case of excess, the food finds it’s way to foodbanks.
- Education - We regularly contribute to a project that offers financial support to youth that grew up in an orphanage and despite the difficulties of this lifepath have managed to make it to the university.
- Gender equality - As a workplace, Publicon has no tolerance for any kind of discrimination. As a conference organiser, we take into account gender-based needs. For example, women that are pregnant or have small children are welcome at our events - we offer separate rooms for their needs and satisfy any requests they might have.
- Sanitation - We channel business only to venues that provide proper sanitation and offer drinkable high-quality tap water. At our events, participants always have access to clean drinking water. Since the start of the pandemic, we have worked on making conferences as safe as possible, creating hybrid conference solutions and taking into account all mandated regulations with distancing, hand-sanitation, temperature measuring and so on.
- Recycling - If at all possible, the waste that is produced at our conferences find their way to proper waste management facilities. Everything that can be reused, will. In the buildings of the Estonian University of Life Sciences the trash bins enable to sort trash.